Monday, April 4, 2011

The Government recognizes that there will be radioactive leaks for several months

Although last Friday Japanese Prime Minister, Naoto Kan, changed the overalls for a suit that indicated a change in the Japanese crisis, this Sunday the government has warned that it may take "several months" before the cessation of radioactive leaks Fukushima plant. According to local agency Kyodo reported, the government has assured that it is inevitable that the battle is "long".

The minister spokesman Yukio Edan, quoted by Kyodo, also said that the government looks to increase aid to evacuees in the vicinity of the plant, which has declared an exclusion zone within a radius of 20 kilometers. More than three weeks after the great earthquake that sparked the nuclear crisis, the workers continue their work day and night to control four of six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant whose cooling system was damaged by the tsunami that followed the quake.

The Japanese government maintains that the radioactivity detected so far in the vicinity of the nuclear power plant does not involve an immediate danger to health beyond the evacuated area. The spokesman added that assessment in children living at a distance of 20 to 30 kilometers of the plant show no evidence that they have been exposed to excessive levels of radioactivity.

NHK public television said, tests were performed between 28 and 30 March among 900 children and adolescents up to 15 years. At the plant, technicians Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO), the operator, on Saturday, a crack located about 20 centimeters by which sea water is filtered with a high radioactivity.

Attempts to fill the crack with concrete were unsuccessful, so on Sunday they intend to inject highly absorbent polymer powder to try to stop the leak. On Friday, the prime minister said it is "difficult" to determine when to end the crisis in the Fukushima plant and said the government is prepared "for any possible and conceivable situation."

No comments:

Post a Comment