Monday, April 4, 2011

A Catholic dies after police detonated a limpet bomb under his car in Northern Ireland

A police officer died Saturday in the explosion of a limpet bomb attached to the underside of a car in a residential area of the Northern Irish town of Omagh, a hundred miles from Belfast, Northern Ireland. The officer, a Catholic named Ronan Kerr, was preparing to go to work at a police station of Ulster (PSNI) when, at 4 pm local time (17 hours Spanish) exploded the artifact.

At only 25 years, only very recently that it had completed the training phase, according to some British media. So far no organization has claimed responsibility for the attack although the type of explosive is one normally used by IRA dissident Republicans, according to police sources have said.

In a first reaction, politicians from different parties, including Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams has condemned the attack. "Sinn Fein is determined that those responsible will not roll back the peace process in Northern Ireland," said Adams. The chief minister of Northern Ireland, Peter Robinson, has condemned the terrorist attack and says that a "tiny group" tries to torpedo the peace process.

For his part, Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, Labour's Eamon Gilmore, said that those behind the violence "has no mandate and act against the democratic will of the people of Ireland north and south." The Northern Ireland spokesman for the Labour opposition in the British Parliament, Shaun Woodward, has spoken of a "wicked and cowardly attack which is repugnant to all in Northern Ireland." The peace agreement signed in 1998 resulted in a decrease of violence in the region, although splinter groups of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) have continued to attack British installations.

However, in March 2009 for the first time after a decade, Ulster dawn with an attack that killed two soldiers from the military base Massereene, County Antrim. Two days later, a shot and killed a policeman in the town of Craigavon, County Armagh naturalized in the heart of Ulster. The terrorist acts are not stopped since then, but for months did not cause more deaths or injuries.

Until January 2010, when a limpet bomb exploded and wounded left a Catholic police officer back in County Antrim. The attack against military base Antrim was gravest since last occurred August 1998 Omagh, wherein at least 29 people died including two Spanish, and over 220 injuring car bombing.

That summer, the bomb exploded in mid-afternoon in one of the busiest streets full of shops, as thousands of Northern Ireland made their purchases and many foreigners took advantage of sightseeing. In fact, among the more than 220 wounded were thirteen Spanish who were then between 10 and 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment