Monday, March 28, 2011

INDONESIA - Zarhul, survivor of two tsunamis

Pursued by the tsunami, Aceh in Japan. Such is the fate of Zahrul Fuad, 39, and his family who survived the two strongest earthquakes ever recorded coupled tsunami in history. "On December 26, 2004, just after the earthquake, I fled on a motorcycle with my wife and my children. When the tsunami hit, we were already far enough, unlike many of our neighbors who have not decamped as fast, "says Zahrul, then a professor of art machines Syah Kuala University [in Banda Aceh].

His house in the district of Simpang Mesra in Banda Aceh will she, carried away by the great wave. And he became a refugee. A year after the disaster, Zahrul received a doctoral scholarship from Tohoku University in Sendai. He left with his wife, Dewi Karyan, and their children. "It's been six years since I am in Japan, and I was ready to return to Indonesia," said the unfortunate.

When the earth began to shake this Friday, March 11, Professor of Indonesia is trying to support his doctoral thesis on the second floor of his faculty. "In Japan, there are regular earthquakes, but last Friday was different, he says. The earthquake had an intensity and duration unusual about two minutes, something similar to what I felt in Aceh at the time.

I immediately thought: there will be a tsunami. And the tsunami hit. Fortunately, it did not reach the Tohoku University located about five kilometers inland and on higher ground. Zahrul but had to leave Sendai. This is again a refugee. He was evacuated by the rescue team to the Indonesian Embassy in Japan and is ready now to head back to his homeland.

"I am sad to leave, because I have not got my doctorate and my children are in full school year. But I am grateful to be alive." The same Friday, March 11, in the same city of Sendai, Budi Susanto Haryadi, Indonesian student in medicine, also at Tohoku University is located just two miles from shore when the earth starts to shake.

The day before he received a phone call from Nanto, an Indonesian sailor employed on a Japanese fishing boat. They agreed to be on the fish market Shiogama, Sendai, Friday in 16 hours. For a year, Haryadi forges friendships with sailors from the Indonesian region. "All the fishing boats in Sendai employ Indonesian men.

Usually, each team has seven people. All of Indonesia. Only the master is Japanese," he says. Every time they drop anchor in the port of Sendai, the Indonesian sailors contact their fellow student. "Nanto docked once a month Shiogama" says sadly Haryadi. At 14 pm, Friday, Haryadi march towards Shiogama, accompanied by a Japanese friend.

But after the bridge leading to the auction, the earth suddenly began to shake violently. Haryadi fall. Tens of sirens sound. "I soon found myself and ran, ran away from the sea tremors were very, very violent and I said, there will be a tsunami." At that time, it froze. Haryadi ran under drifting snow.

About two kilometers from the bridge, he heard a terrifying roar of water towards the sea "I do not know how long I ran, but got home, I took my son under his arm and yet I ran toward a hill. " For three days, Haryadi, her children and neighbors remained on that hill. "There was no food in the refuge, says he.

Only children and pregnant women were entitled to food." But his thoughts were always his friend Nanto. No headlines. Sunday, March 13, at noon, when the rescue team from the Indonesian Embassy has evacuated Haryadi, the medical student led rescuers to Shiogama looking Nanto. But the area was cordoned off by the Japanese army, a new tsunami warning had been given.

Haryadi it is then submitted to fate. According to data from the Crisis Staff of the Embassy of Indonesia, Indonesians about 1301 registered in Japan, 376 have so far shown no signs of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment