Sunday, May 1, 2011

FRANCE - Few naturalizations for Moroccan students

This is an important day for Meryem, 26, an executive in Paris. It is preparing to apply for naturalization: "It's been months since I gathered the papers. I finally finished. Here, the real waiting begins." According to the latest figures from Eurostat, France is the top of the podium in the European Union, with more than 108,000 naturalization by marriage or by decree granted in 2008.

Something to give hope to new graduates. "To be naturalized by decree, it must fulfill three criteria: be aged at least 18 years, reside in France for over 5 years, have a criminal record and proof of his assimilation into the French community, particularly through knowledge of the language, "explains Rabia, a young Moroccan who holds a Masters in Law at Paris 2, now looking for work.

"I met all these conditions perfectly, but I know that my application will not be accepted, resigned, she said. In reality, what the law does not say is that I am required to pay and pay taxes to be naturalized. As soon as I find a job, I have all my chances. " To be naturalized, it is almost a formality, an administrative process that takes less time, according to a statement from French ministry of immigration.

According to him, naturalization decisions rose from 12 months in 2009 to five months in 2010, following the reform launched by the then minister, Eric Besson, to simplify procedures. Moreover, many can attest: "The hardest part is not the procedure is to be able to start. It took me six months to collect my papers, but 9 months to find work.

I thought I would never make it, "says Meryem. Indeed, if access to French nationality seems within reach of all the pitfalls, and that's where the trap lies in the job. "Since the Act of June 24, 2006," says Elodie Beharel, national delegate of Cimade (Comité Inter moves from the evacuated), it must meet strict criteria before they can be transformed from student to employee.

" That is to say, hold a degree equivalent to a master, make a promise of employment in line with training, with a salary representative and a half times the minimum wage, among others. Before you think to be naturalized, a student must first prove it is profitable. But it's hard. "In my class, after graduating, many have referred to the finance sector, while booming.

Five years later, we were ready but that was it. So we turn to the board, it takes a bit of jobs next, but still consistent with our training, "says Meryem. "The problem is that we stay here and thus renew his residence permit. After graduation, you are entitled to 6 months in the territory, then we must clear out if we did not find work and change their status, "said Omar, 26.

How so? "We must make do otherwise. The best is to extend the residence student", advised the young man, who has yet tried it without success. "I registered licensed Chinese. When I got close to the prefecture, they asked me to justify this change of course, since I was a graduate in marketing.

So I took it out on their China's GDP, I said it was the future, while here it was saturated and that if I wanted to learn Chinese, because I dream of going to work there medium term, "recounts the young man, who continues:" The lady in front did not look too much to believe me, she gave me a 6 month extension subject to come back with a certificate of attendance and completion of the first semester examinations.

Omar speaks with humor, but stressed: "Of course, I never went to class and there, I still have 3 months to find work, otherwise I do not know what to do. I do not want to return to Morocco without being naturalized. " When asked why such anxiety, he responds with the air of someone who has given much thought to the question: "If I want to become French as it is not to stay here, but rather to make Morocco phase potentially temporary.

A free option. afford the luxury of an exit. " Become French, and then return to Morocco ... once achieved, which made the leap? "It's been a year and a half I am naturalized. I want to settle in Morocco, but not now," says Rita, 28, architect, who prefers to "wait a bit." Wait what and why extend the deadline? Especially since the guilt is there: "Yes, Morocco needs us, we know and we repeat.

I miss my family too. But I'm not ready, that's all." Rita, just like his friends who move in the same microcosm of Morocco to Paris, but still cosmopolitan, confesses a desire to grow and evolve in a more exciting, fulfilling. According to her, be naturalized, it is only a step. A step that will perhaps help them return to Morocco, not push.

Under his jazzy tunes in Saint Germain, France, among the young people she has received and rocked freedom, is less and less happy today. Between the ambiguity of feeling and French Moroccan claim, the need for space and the relationship of the heart, the feeling of being abroad and fear of not finding his place, the identity balance is precarious.

"I owe much to France, she trained and educated. I learned and experienced much more here than where I was born, says Ylias, 28, looking for a job for a few months. But On the other hand, it is as if she had adopted, as with parents. They have a role to play, you do not detach it and, inevitably, more expected.

" A role that the mother Marianne is less and less willing to take, obviously. For while France has 5.9% of recent migrants in occupations say highly skilled, low levels compared to the European average, it posted an unemployment rate verging on 10% and a foreign policy towards more described as more aggressive.

"It becomes difficult, I feel no longer wanted me here. Yes, there is supposedly a willingness to naturalize senior graduates, etc.. But every day, we need to be convinced ensures Ylias. Tomorrow, if I can find no work, I'll have to return to Morocco, disappointed. France, after all that, have me thrown out.

It has that right probably, but I feel betrayed ".

No comments:

Post a Comment