Saturday, March 26, 2011

MOROCCO - Mohammed VI made a revolution

Amin Maalouf, I believe, once said that when people gather around the same opinion, the truth must be somewhere else. Because unanimity is something rather disturbing. Yet I really want to contradict the great writer of Lebanese descent. When it was delivered, March 9 at night, Mohammed VI's speech I was immediately excited.

It also surprised me. King beat forecasts and predictions, even the most optimistic. He went away and he seemed more relaxed than usual, as if discourse on freedom, democracy and the separation of powers was good. Indeed, this speech makes us all a lot of good. There was Feb. 20, there will now be March 9.

We may long remember this date because the King gave this speech the day the boldest of his reign. I can simply say the speech of March 9 is the one that was expected at the time of his induction in July 1999. Because it clearly opens the door to a parliamentary monarchy and a system where the king reigns but does not govern.

I'm not naive and I did not short memory, because I know that the monarchy over the years we have often oversold his speech with the sole purpose of gaining time. I can understand the refuseniks and I have always despised the yes-man who applaud whatever the king said. But I must confess that I have a dream and I'm sure many of you share: that the state is no longer him, but we, Moroccans, institutions, men and women elected, free, accounting charge.

I just think that this dream can be realized. And with Him. But beware. The Constitution, it is useful to remember, is the genetic code of any state. It is the Koran and the Bible of a nation. Constitutional reform should certainly not look like a facelift or a touch-up front. It must state clearly some fundamental separation of powers (religious, economic and political), respect for individual freedoms and consecration of freedom of expression, independence of justice, punishment at the ballot box, etc..

Act, this means continuing the fight. But keep in knowing why. The revolution we have always known to affect the Constitution but also attitudes. To change, he'll have it all starts there, he and us. A healthy and sustainable monarchy is a monarchy where the king does not govern and do not concentrate in his hands the whole economy.

It is quite clear. In our newspapers, our associations, our institutions and, if necessary, in the street. I hope, finally, that the doves have prevailed over the Hawks in the king's entourage. I also hope that reason will never leave the minds of the protesters tomorrow. It is not safe and it is perhaps not definitive.

It's just the truth today and it's already just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment