Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Former President Kuchma denies involvement in journalist's death

Former Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma on Wednesday denied involvement in the death of Georgiy Gongadze, a journalist close to the opposition who was assassinated in 2000, and said he is willing to go "all the torments of hell" to prove his innocence. "Honestly, I am calm because I do not feel guilty," he told reporters before his appearance before the prosecutor general for questioning about the death of Gongadze.

"We all know that I have lived 10 years under psychological pressure. I'm morally prepared to go all the torments of hell to prove myself innocent," he added. Kuchma, 72, was president from 1994 to 2005. The murder of the journalist, 31, became the most notorious crime and represented a turning point in the Kuchma regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment