Monday, March 21, 2011

Lessons from Japan to the West (and vice versa)

I am not surprised that the Japanese have not responded to their plight with the looting and "every man for himself" that often accompanies disasters in other parts of the world. Some years ago I wrote a story about the lost property office in Tokyo. What most struck me was the thousands of returned products had half-finished sandwich.

Someone had bothered to bring it, if its owner had lost and went without lunch .. I was not surprised the much-discussed lack of hysteria scenes, drama and tears among the victims, perhaps influenced by Hollywood, and increasingly television that invites the most boorish exhibitionism, we expect to be showing everything all the time worldwide.

The Japanese cry. The sense of modesty and privacy as they do their dignified. I am not surprised no civility, symbolized by the endless queues that everyone expects to achieve disciplined turn some food. Not a single push, a bad sign or a complaint. And if they were Madrid or New York that were cut? Let's say that my own behavior to be optimistic.

For the first time in many days I have seen a shop open in the city of Sendai, which had no long queues at the entrance. Sold water and instinctively I took all that I have (six two-liter bottles) and I headed to the cash register to pay. "Only two per person," said the clerk. I looked back and sure enough, no one took more than two bottles.

Some had decided to take one, so that those who came later also had their chance. Eastern lesson: especially in times of crisis, the group is above the individual. That is: you. And I have not been surprised by the resilience of the Japanese people, their extreme education even in the middle of a disaster like the living, if their absence would go unnoticed, their concept of social responsibility, respect for their elders or the restraint of his press, more interested in reporting that move to their readers, listeners or viewers showing piles of bodies.

What has surprised me, though well thought should not have done, is the inefficiency and slowness of the Japanese out of the paralysis that caused the disaster, preventing a return to normal even without communication problems cities by road, where the earthquake and the tsunami did not cause major damage.

One always thinks of Japan as one of the most advanced countries, methodical and disciplined in the world. Should not all this help in a crisis like this? But the Japanese are not good at improvising and hate alterations diverted from their plans. A British journalist who is covering the story, married to a Japanese, I explained that rigidity with a homely example: "I called my wife and I said please send me money soon.

But he had already made plans to attend a meeting of the school the child, sign some papers in the registry and go to the mall. I know I sent the money when he has done all those things, but I'm here in the middle of the end of the world. "I was surprised that the most developed country in which I covered a natural disaster has been the slowest to respond and say with certainty that once everything is planned and established operation, the Japanese people rebuild their economy and damaged areas as one can.

Western Lesson: especially in times of crisis, do not let that stop you from standards acting with creativity and flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment